Question

foobear

Affect of Small Claims Judgment on Excellent Credit Score
How many points will a Small Claims Court Judgement affect my score? My score is 780 and I lost in small claims court and owe the plaintiff $800.

How will this impact my credit score? Are we talking a couple points or is it going to be ugly? I was actually wronged by this other person and have decided to pay just to be done with the ordeal, but if the impact is significant, I may decide to appeal.

Thanks for your help.

Most Helpful Response

Nobody can say for sure how many points it will drop, but probably more than a couple.  Even if you do pay it, it will still show up on your report, but as a "paid" or "released" judgment, which is slightly less damaging than an unpaid one.  You could wait a couple months and see how bad a hit it is before you decide to fight or pay.  Judgment stay on your report for 10 years if unpaid, 7 years once paid.  Sorry I couldn't be more assistance.

HI Foobear,

I am in the same situation. would you be willing to let others (like me) know what happened to your score? I have 2 weeks before my court date and the amount I would have to pay ($1500), even though I feel i am right, is not worth it if it really impacts my credit.

thanks!

foobear

Dear pashah2,

I have not yet seen the impact on my credit score.  It has been two months since court and it has not yet hit my credit report (I check Credit Karma and Credit Sesame regularly).  Credit Karma score is unchanged, my Credit Sesame score has actually increased >790.  

I will re-post when if/when I see any impact to my score.  

Update?

foobear,

Can we get an update with how this affected your credit score? 

Hi Foobear, I am in a similar situation as you and i'd greatly help to know how the credit score was impacted from the judgment. My score is 780+ and I got a civil judgment for $4000 against me a week ago, and wanting to decide next steps. Could you please share how your credit score changed since the judgment from last year? Thank you.