Question

mattjoing

Affect of Closed Credit Cards Accounts on Utilization
I have 3 credits that were closed a number of years ago by the card issuer but I'm still paying the balances off. These accounts show up on my credit report, but do not show up in Credit Karma when I look at the details of my credit card utilization - it only shows the 4 active cards that I have with balances. I am planning to pay down some of my card balances to improve my credit score. Would it be better to start with the open accounts since these seem to be the ones that are being used in my utilization percentage? I've read that remaining balances on closed credit card accounts still affect utilization, but it doesn't seem like that's how Credit Karma is showing the calculation.

Are the closed accounts charged off? Is there collection accounts on your reports for the credit cards that are unpaid and closed?