Question

Finnaive

Advice on how to shop for an Auto Loan
Hi
I am planning to buy a certified pre-owned car (my 1st ever car) within next few days. It would be either a Toyota Camry/Honda Accord or a Nissan Altima. I am looking at around 12K for the used car. I do not plan for any down payment or may be max $1000. How do I and who do I approach for car loan of around 12K. My CK score is 711 ( it was actually 735 till couple of weeks back), but the score is coming down.
Should I approach a Bank or a Credit Union? I do not have any relation with any CU.
Or , should I go with the dealer's financing option? I am all new to this.
What is the typical interest rate on Auto Loans in US?
Appreciate if you can provide any advice.

Thanks, Finnaive

Credit Union

Here are some good credit unions or places you can get a car loan...

USAA, DCFU, PENFED, Navy Federal, PSECU

or your local credit unions

If you have a parent in the military or retired you can join Navy Federal and USAA.

I would not finance through the dealer, because your goal should be to join a credit union and then ask for a credit card later.  The credit limits at the places I mentioned above are very good and can help you keep good credit in the future.  A car dealer is only going to help when you want to buy a car, plus they get extra money off your app/credit loan.