Question

BDM128

Advice on how to raise my credit score?
I have a sad score of 517, we had a bankruptcy in 2009, several collection agencies are after us now and we lost our home to foreclosure in 2012.
Feeling very overwhelmed, where do we even start? How long should it take and what would you do? Thanks folks!

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. You want to raise your credit score, but what are your goals aside from that? Do you still have debts you're paying on, or are you starting fresh? The first rule of getting out of a hole is not digging yourself in deeper. You might try applying for a secured credit card. I think the usual amount is $300 starting out. Use no more than 30% of the credit card limit. Pay it in full and on time every month. Your rating will slowly but surely improve. If the home loan was not satisfied in the foreclosure sale, it may stay on your record as long as seven years. I know this from experience after losing my home. My home was sold for less than the loan amount, and the difference sat on my record for seven years.