Question

chegme

Advice in improving credit and helping credit score
Hi All! I've been using Credit Karma for about two years now! Here's my situation and I'd like to see if I can get any advice from everyone.
Background:
Currently have two open credit accounts open
-1 unsecured credit card with a 500 limit and a balance of about 200 right now. It was at 500 for a while about a year and a half ago, and have been paying it down ever since. I now do not let it get higher than 200 per month. Been open since 2012.

-1 Auto loan with a balance of approximately 5800. This has never been late since 2012.

I have had a charge off and an old personal loan which went into collections. These have been paid in full.

Credit Karma is showing a "score" of 620. I realize this is an estimate.

At this point, I am 21 and have 14 inquiries currently on my credit history. 12 of the 14 will fall off within three months from right now. Mainly, this is because I was looking at financing a car and the dealership sent my credit to more banks than I was originally told.

My main question is how can I increase my credit worthiness? I belong to a credit union for which I have my unsecured credit card.
Would Capital One's unsecured card be a good option? Fingerhut? Wait until the inquiries fall off?
Thanks everyone!

The balance on your credit card is still too high, $200 of $500 is 40% credit card utilization. It is best to keep your credit card utilization below 30% (though 1%-20% is key) at all times. Try to bring the balance down to $100 if you can. If you're getting ready to apply for another credit card, it would be best to wait for the inquires to fall off. Since you're applying for a capital one card then you can use this link to see what you could be pre-qualified for -- https://findmycard.capitalone.com/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_QUICK_V01.aspx -- ... if they don't match anything for you, then you may only qualify for their secured credit card.