Question

scarletteorchid

Advice about collections that keep being repurchased...
I have two issues that I am looking at. For one, I seem to have old accounts that are being repurchased and look active when they should be close to dropping off.
My second issue is that I have two accounts with the same debt showing up. I have 3 accounts in collections, all of which appear newer than they truly are and two of which are the same debt, but have two different names that I owe.
What is the best way to resolve this without making the accounts active again and having more poor activity on my credit?

I have seen my credit report and the activity, so I am aware this is what is occurring. I just want to know how to correct it or if I should leave it alone.

Most Helpful Response

Old collections

If you're playing the waiting game for an unpaid collection to roll off here's what to consider:

1. Paying a collection will stop the "re-aging" of the collection which most collection companies do monthly.  The credit scoring models view this as a "new" collection.  If you can afford to pay an actively re-aging collection then do so.  This will stop that process and also give you a better chance of deletion through a dispute or even a "pay to delete".  When making payment request the deletion, you might get lucky.

2. If the debt is reaching the 7 year mark since the original debt went 120 days late, and it's not re-aging you may want to wait.  Paying a "dormant" collection that's not re-aging will drop your scores (if they don't agree to delete for payment).

The best you can do for your credit in general is to settle your active collections, maintain low balances on credit cards (below 30%), open new credit if you don't have any, and keep payments on time.  Do this and over time you can have good scores again.

If you need more advice I can be reached through my profile, I solve clients credit score issues for a living.