Question

TeacherBaeJae

Advice about bad depts.
Long story short, I was asked by my Mom at 19 to open some department store credit cards for her, and she would pay them off to help me build my credit, however, she racked up about $1000 unpaid and the accounts have all been closed now but has left my credit score at 523 (T.U.) 537 (Equifax), I was recently employed through my University and I would like to begin building my score, I think student loans is more than enough on my credit history.
(Please let's not make it about bashing my Mom, I just really want help.)
Should I pay the depts?
What should I do to begin helping my score?

Best knowledge is to read the articles on this site so you can learn how credit works and how to build your score.  I used to be a cash only person but built a great credit portfolio and score after reading the articles here and making needed changes.