Question

ineedyourhelp

adding users to your credit, good or bad?
I had a credit score of 684 in may 2013, and was approved for a store card and capital one card. I already had a cc open and in good standings for nine years. I was focusing on rebuilding my credit and was told that I could be added as a user on families good credit cards to enhance my credit. So I figured I would add my wife to my nine year card to help her credit. I also challenged several items in my reports and won the disputes. Meanwhile my score was going up points at a time and from one day to the next my score dropped from a 687 to a 656 and now hovering at 627. my new cards are all used properly and Im using only 10% of my credit.
My question is " why would my score drop if I'm doing everything right"? If my wife had bad credit of her own will that affect my score? We have no other joint credit but do share two bank accounts that are in great standings.

Most Helpful Response

The hit may be from your newly opened store card and capital one card. Hard inquiry and 0-month of new card history will lower your score first before it can be bumped up again (with on time payment of course)

ineedyourhelp

That makes since, butI still would like to know if my wifes other seperate bad credit will affect my score now that we share this common link?

Each person is judged differently from their reports. My wife has excellent credit and has 2 unsecured cards. Me with a bk on my record only got approved for a secured one.

I don't believe your wife's score will affect yours - I am a secondary on another person's account, and my fluctuating credit hadn't affected theirs. 

I am trying to figure out how much being on their card affects mine - I'd love to hear if your wife's score jumps and by how much!