Question

CaelCryos

Adding my new immigrant wife as an Authorised user - Nowhere asks for her SS number?
My wife is a new immigrant (green card holder). She has been in the US less than a year, held a social security card for 8 months and only held her green card and been able to have a bank account for 3 months, so has no credit history or score (because sadly the 10 year history she has in her own country isn't counted here).

We are in the process of building her credit, and are finding we are coming across a lot of brick walls. We are in the process of trying to get her a secured credit card, but are struggling because they cannot identify her with her SS number - we are sending authorization documentation etc, but it is a struggle. The credit card company suggests that this is due to how new she is and that, barring filing a joint tax return, has done nothing with her social security number.

We are trying to find some way to start to build her credit, as we are hoping to buy a house in the next 2 years or so, and will absolutely need her income alongside mine to be approved.

We were thinking of adding her as an authorised user to an account of mine. I have recently rebuilt my credit through careful use of a secured card (from 608-700), so will be applying for a new card that has better options. The only issue we come across is that none of the cards seem to require the authorized user's Social Security number. Will this mean that the activity will not come up on her reports if they have her name only?

Thanks!

NB: My wife is extremely trustworthy and manages most of our finances. The main reason my credit has gone up is through her sitting down with me and using credit karma to develop a plan to rebuild credit, and follow it to the letter. I have no concerns about her being an authorized user.