Question

Kommander

Added my daughter as an authorized user
I have a 15 year old daughter that has been watching and learning from me about credit and how to handle it. She has a very level head and makes good decisions. I wanted to help give her a boost so I added her as an authorized user on 2 of my capital one card accounts in good standing but I kept the cards they issued to her. When she turns 18 and can get her own cards I want to sever those ties. How do I go about that? I would assume it is just a matter of cancelling them through Capital One but is it that easy?

Most Helpful Response

You contact the lender, in this case Capital One,  and have them remove her as an authorized user. Simple as that.  No need to cancel the card at all, unless you just don't want it anymore.

Kommander

Excellent. Thank you. I was hoping it would be that easy. 

Excellent Authorized User

I know some one who added there son to there Credit card as a authorized user and just simply did not give him the card and and iot reported excellent because the father paid all his bills on time and after a while his score it was over 700 and now he is applying for his own!                                                                                     Disclaimer May not work for everyone!!!

Bad Idea,      ( lets hope other see this as a bad idea also )

Never Add your kids as a authorized user on Any of your Accounts..

Don't do it.

Kommander

What is your reasoning for this? I am genuinly interested. 

Rlawshe1

Enter Your ReplyWhy is it a bad idea? I have both of my sons on as AU on 3 cards. However, they don't have posession of the cards, I do..