Question

kjadefuller

Active debt in Collection, don't know what it is?!
The report says I have an active debt of $56 in collections. It only says that the debs collector is "Collection" and the original creditor is "Collection". There is a phone number for the collections agency, who I called and got directed to a voicemail. I have no idea what this could be from. I don't believe I have recieved any bills or calls regarding a debt. What should I do? If I knew I owed $56 dollars I would have paid it. Can I dispute this?

yes

but I do not recommend doing so by phone.

track down a mailing address and mail a letter to validate debt

do not admit to debt

do not sign letter, best to not have your handwriting anywhere

get proof of reciept on letter

I realize it is a small debt, but it does affect your score and collection agencies can get very shifty. you need a paper trail.