Question

Rcteninn24

Account in collections just showed up from 4 years ago, help?!?!
Hi, I just checked my credit report and I saw that an account was added on my report from a collection agency. I was perplexed because this has never shown up before and I have been doing very good with making my payments, etc. I searched the details on this collection and it is showing that I owe $200 to a TMobile phone bill from 2010. Does anyone have any idea why it's showing up after 4 years? I've been using credit karma for about 6 months now and it has never came up. What should I do? This has dropped my score 60 points. I know usually after 7 years things on the report reset, but I'm lost at what to do. Please help.

Most Helpful Response

T-Mobile probably sold this old debt to a company, and now they are reporting it.  I would dispute it, many of these debt buyers are scammers and try to collect on outdated and just plain bogus accounts.  Write to the collector and all three bureaus asking for proof it is yours.  Be persistent, 'cause they'll just send you statements or settlement offers.  Demand a complete payment history, copy of contract, whatever you can think of.  Also, Google the collection agency's name and see what kind of info you can find out.  You can also check with the Better Business Burea, the FTC and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to see if there are complaints against them.  Best of luck!