Question

Louise8594

Account in collections for medical debt removed but not paid
I had a medical debt about 3 or 4 years old in collections for roughly $1000. I was never contacted by the collection agency and have not made any payments to my knowledge. Today when I looked at my credit score it said it was removed from collections. I was wondering why it was removed? Do I still owe this? Can they sue me for it without making contact with me?

The debt collector that held the debt may have sold it to another debt collector, so it may pop back up under the name of a new debt collector. Besides that, I am not sure, maybe they found something incorrect with the account or something else and decided to pull it from the bureaus. As to whether you can be sued for the debt, you need to look up the "statute of limitations" to be sued for medical debt in your state. Odds are that the "sol" has expired, meaning that if they did try to sue you, you could beat them in court as the debt is not collectable in the legal system. The credit reporting time period of 7 years for most negative debt is something SEPARATE of the "statute of limitations". Never speak to debt collectors unless you are thoroughly educated about how to deal with them.