Question

FancyPansy

Account in collections
There was a false report of account in collections reported against my credit. I was told in March by Collection agency that they sent request for this to be removed...however it is still there. How long does it take to update?

up to 60 days.

depends on how often they report and when cross reporting occurs.  Generally sooner, but it can take that long.  If its still there after 60 days file a dispute with CRA on their website.

I would contact the collection company again and get that in writing.  Then send a copy of their letter to all three credit bureaus via regular mail.  I just found out today that if you dispute online, then the bureaus don't have to adhere to all the responsibilities set forth in the FCRA if you agree to an "Expedited Dispute Resolution", so from now on I tell everyone to do it in writing.  It's a pain, but you don't want to give up any of your rights for the bureaus to actually do their jobs and investigate disputes.