Question

TheScreenKing

Accidentally max credit utilization
Ok so there was a promotion of 0% interest for 12 months. So I decided it was a good time to buy a laptop. My overall credit utilization went up to 20% which to my understanding was ok. But my score dropped about 30 points. The very first thing I did was pay off the credit card and all other credit cards in hope that my score goes back up fully! I was planning on going to buy my first house in the next month but my plans are on hold until my score goes back up. I really hope it will be recovered fully. Does any one know if it will go back up when it says that all my cards a fully paid? Please I just want a straightforward answer. I have read a lot of reviews of simular questions but the answers are to not max the card out. Unfortunately I didn't know that it was on each specific card. :( it is really frustrating I was so ready to buy a house!

there's no guarantee your score will completely rebound, because we don't know for sure that the full drop was due to credit utilization. perhaps part of it was due to inquiries? or new accounts opened? if part of the drop was due to factors *other than credit utilization, then you won't get those point back after you pay the CC off. 

pennstate is correct.  You probably lost a couple of points for the inq. and a few for because your AAoA dropped with a new account.  But you will get most of it back when your statement cuts... utilization is 30%  of your score and it has no memory so it will be back fast.