Question

BatmanYZFr1

A service related collection on my report that I do not agree with. What can I do?
I had satellite TV. I decided to switch to cable. My wife called to cancel the SAT TV, they sent boxes to return the two receivers and a shipping company picked them up. This was 2007. Last year (may 2013) I get a call from a collection company saying that I owe them for the two receivers and 3 months of service. I switched to cable, but apparently SAT company kept the service active. This collector said (per the notes) that my wife was not authorized to cancel the service, so they kept it active and only turned it off because it went in default after the 3 months. And they have no record of receiving the returned receivers.

I told them that I'm not paying for the SAT company's mistakes. When we cancelled the bill was current and I can't help it if they don't know where their equipment is. Plus, even if I agreed with them, those receivers and now worthless.

I thought that was over until I checked my credit here and saw the collection. It is my word against their's. No available paperwork or proof. Is there anything I can do to get this collection off of my report?

It is very close to the satute of limitations on reporting. So you can try to negotiate or just wait it out. If you try to negotiate make it clear that this is for the pruposes of clearing yrou credit report and you do not acknowledge the debt. Get everything in writing before you pay a cent. A good aim for negotiation is 10% of the debt for every 1 yr of  statue of limitations on reporting remaining. Every time you cancel service, get a record that they agree to cancel the service on so and so date that aco**** is paid in full and keep record fo equipment sent. then keep it for 7-10 yrs jsut for these purposes.