Question

jeffcpa

A relative has poor credit and asked to be added to my credit card to increase their credit should I
Will it affect my credit score? I don't intend to give them a card but their mortgage lending said it would help raise their score and wouldn't have an impact on mine.

Most Helpful Response

If you add your relative as an authorized user and do not actually give them a card (or the information needed to use the card online or over the phone), you're probably okay. They won't be able to misuse the card to harm your credit and if you have a good record on the card, it will help them. However, I don't think you should feel pressured to do this if you're uncomfortable with the situation for any reason. After all, if the relative has messed up his or her credit, that person's best course is to learn to manage credit -- not lean on someone else's good credit as a crutch. Whatever else you do, DO NOT co-sign for the mortgage or anything else with this person.