Question

ProfessorBarnhardt

A mistake ... or am I just lucky?
I filed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy in 2006 and it was discharged normally in 2011. But as of this year (2014), it no longer appears on any of my credit reports. I was under the impression it would stay on my credit reports for 7 years - yet it seems to have vanished from my reports after less than 3 years. And FWIW, my FICO scores are back into the 700s. Is this a mistake by the 3 major credit reporting agencies or have they adopted new guidelines for Chapter 13. Note that I'm not complaining (grin). I just want to know if this is a mistake or if I'm just lucky.

I would say a lucky mistake for you!  Go buy that lottery ticket.  :)

Apparently, it wasn't a lucky mistake.  A bankruptcy is not considered successful until it's been properly discharged (in my case, 2011).  And I was under the impression my Chapter 13 stayed on my credit file 7 years following discharge date.  However, policebox says it's 7 years following the filing date (in my case, 2006).  So, it dropped off my credit file in 2013 as it normally should have.

That takes a load of worry off my mind.  I was waiting for the credit reporting agencies to notice "an error" - and re-post the info at a time I least wanted them to do so.

Long story - but the only reason I filed a Chapter 13 was because, after I divorced my ex, she filed a Chapter 7.  And even though the divorce decree said her debts were hers, her creditors came after me with a vengeance (community property state).  I could handle my own debts ... but not hers and mine together.  The difference now is that I'm virtually debt free ... and she's gotten herself in credit trouble again.  Some people never learn.  Glad I divorced her (grin).

I see

I was under the impression it remained on my record for 7 years following discharge since a bankruptcy is not considered "successful" unless it's discharged.  A lot of things can happen between the filing date and discharge date.

But, I'm certainly glad I was under a misimpression about that.  I was worried that a "mistake" would be discovered and that my Chapter 13 would pop up at a future date.

Thanks for the clarification.