Question

tnch

A dollar amount in my credit report is not correct
I have an account that got turned over to a collection agency a couple years ago. We have been paying on it,but in my credit report it only shows the original creditor and original amount owed,and does not show the collection agency we have been paying or the fact that the debt is approximately $4700.00 less!This makes my overall debt amount higher than it actually is.Is there anything I can do about it?

Most Helpful Response

The collection agency you've been paying ought to be reporting to the credit bureaus. If it's not, ask it to. You might also need to contact the credit bureaus to have them remove the old obsolete information and add the corrected info: http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/CreditBureauContactInfohtm.shtml

Thank you clarissa. I have disputed the amount shown. I am going to contact the collection agency. We'll see what happens. Thanks again for your advice.