Question

IamLegion

A delinquent the student loan is closed and submitted to Gov for payment. What now?
My deliquent student loan from over 7 years ago is still listed on my report. It shows closed and up for payment from the government or insurance company. I am still receiving collections notices. Is it to late to start paying them off? If I pay the collections company is the debt being double paid? Is it too late for me to do anything and I simply have to wait for it to come off my record.

Most Helpful Response

Call Fed Loan Servicing

Federal student loans that are in default for more than a year or two (I'm not sure exactly) get segregated from the standard Fed Loan repayment system, but this doesn't mean you can't get them out of default.  Call Fed Loan Servicing and they will tell you about a "loan rehabilitation" program that is a payment arrangement that if payments are arranged and completed successfully for 12mo, your loans will be back to "current" and it will be as if they were never in default (aside from the negative marks on your credit reports from prior missed payments).  The payment arrangements are income-based, so the payments are affordable.  Federal student loans are about the easiest accounts to get back into current status, in my experience.

Student loans also remain collectable until paid in full, no matter how long that takes.