Question

jnaz

A collection that is past statute of limitation shows "new report/activity", should I be concerned?
I was checking my Credit Carma this morning and noticed that a collection that I have that is way past its statute of limitation (and only one more year from the 7 year limit) is all of a sudden showing a new "Report Date" from last month. I do not remember taking any phone calls, responding or having any kind of contact with this Creditor so i have no idea what the new report is all about. Should I be concerned? Is this "activity" something that will restart my 7 year clock? Thanks in advance for any help.

The legal statute of limitation has no effect on your credit score or reporting time. The 7 year limit you refer to is the statutory limit where credit activity must be considered stale. (Statute of Limitations is a common term for the law which prevents a creditor from filing suit for deficiency.)

When debt is sold it is often reported as new credit. That is likely what happened. It should not affect the 7 year date although it often does. When it does it should be disputed.