Question

bigdog103176

A collection agency placed a $2300 collections and I don't know what for
I was contacted last month by a collection agency saying that I owe $2300 for a hospital visit I had in 2007 in Dallas. First I have never been to a hospital in Dallas and Second if I had why is it after 7 years they now show me in collections? How long can they goes and still be able to place things on my credit? I do not believe that I owe this and that it was a scam of some kind how do I fight this? This dropped me 51 points on my credit score.

Most Helpful Response

First, are you sure it is showing up on your credit report?  If you're not sure, check your report at www.annualcreditreport.com.  If it does NOT show up, then just ignore these guys.  If they call, tell them you only want them to contact you by mail.  If it DOES show up, then write letters to all three bureaus and the collection agency.  Tell them (1) this is not your account and (2) it is outdated and (3) it needs to be removed from your credit report.  You may have to do this a couple of times.  If the collectors keep harrasing you, visit www.ftc.gov and www.consumerfinance.gov and file complaints againt them.   Best of luck!

bigdog103176

Thank you very much. That is good info.