Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!


Posted in Credit Report
Profile Image

Question By

0 Contributions
0 People Helped
a collection agency is showing on my report and have no idea what/who this is. what do I do?

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

All Responses

Results 1-4 of 4Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next
Top Contributor
13059 Contributions
4655 People Helped

Helpful to 32 out of 34 people

Go to and get copies of all three credit reports.  This is something to do once a year every year because errors are to be expected.  Look the reports over very carefully and file disputes on all WRONG information with the credit bureau reporting same.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed item.

Most likely this collection agency is an error.  That's why we are so strongly advised to do an annual credit report check so we can make sure all information is correct.

2 Contributions
24 People Helped

Validation Letter for the Collectios

Helpful to 18 out of 18 people

you may want to try this letter to the collector,  adjust it to your specific information.

Your Name
123 Your Street Address

Your City, ST 01234

 Collections Name

123 their address

Their City, St Zip



To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice sent to me on September 30, 2002). Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.

This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

Please provide me with the following:

What the money you say I owe is for;

Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;

Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;

Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;

Identify the original creditor;

Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account

Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state

Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent

At this time I will also inform you that if your offices have reported invalidated information to any of the 3 major Credit Bureau’s (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion) this action might constitute fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following:

Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act

Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

Defamation of Character

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in the following Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist.

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes any listing any information to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately.

I would also like to request, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices to my home or to my place of employment. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by USPS.

It would be advisable that you assure that your records are in order before I am forced to take legal action. This is an attempt to correct your records, any information obtained shall be used for that purpose.

Best Regards,

Your Signature

Your Name

2 Contributions
18 People Helped

Dispute, dispute, dispute.

Helpful to 17 out of 18 people

You are responsible to write to all three of the credit reporting agencies. You would have to write a dispute letter not only to all three credit agency, but to the collection agency as well. They are the ones that would need the burden of proof that you are the indivisual that owns the debt. In most cases, these collection agencies don't care if they had make a mistake in reporting that you are the one that owes money. 

In my experience, most collection agencies have made mistakes in the identity of people that share the same first and last name. Ask the all three reporting angency to have the collection agency prove that you are the one that owes them money. Ask them ( the collection) agency to send you copies of all the original contracts that you have sgin with what ever purchase was made. 99% of the time those very same collection agency do not have the orginals documents.

Since they are unabel to produce them, they would have to resind their efforts in collecting aganist you.

Stay on top of it, most people just give up.

Hope this will help you.

2 Contributions
18 People Helped


Helpful to 1 out of 2 people

When it comes to having an error removed or even something legitimate that was place on your credit report, YOU are the only one that has the legal right to have it take off your credit report. As long as you can prove that it was place there in error, or that you have made an agreement with the company or agency.

Credit reporting agencies are like the government, it take lots of time and energy to have anything resolved. What is worst is to have anything removed! The reason why the credit reporting agency takes more time to have something removed, is because you have to have all the proof to convience them.

Work with your creditor or with the ones that have place the sitgma on your report.

Hope this help.

Results 1-4 of 4Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.


Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.