Question

Ardentoak

775 FICO - cc app questions
Hello! I've been really working on raising my score, and it's been working - 763 Experian and 775 Equifax as of last night. I would like to apply for a prime credit card, with hopefully better terms and higher cl, but have some concerns.

1) I opened my first bank card, a Capital One Platinum card with $500 cl in June. I also applied for and accepted store cards (J Crew $950, Ann Taylor $750, Overstock $1,000, BrylaneHome $500) within a week of that app. I've used everything responsibly and keeping overall utilization at 10% or less and either pif or twice the minimum due. But it's only been a couple of billing cycles.

Yesterday I applied for, and received, a car loan from BoA, online, for over $22k at 3.04% (that's where I got the 775 score.) No proof of income required - I literally just signed a paper, with no down payment. Easiest car purchase of my life.

So here's my question: would it be wise for me to apply for another card, perhaps a Discover or a Visa (suggestions on company welcome), with a high score but relatively short revolving credit history?
In your opinion or experience, what are my chances? Do I have too many new accounts? My score shot up from around 630 to 775 in two months, so I must be doing something right.

BTW - I have student loan accounts that are 19 years old, so my AAoA is long. I have no derigatories or late payments on anything.

The cl on that Cap 1 card is so low and the percentage rate (24%) is so high, and I would really like to be able to have stronger non-store card buying power and the ability to transfer balance to a lower rate card. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Amendment to my post

The Cap 1 wasn't my first bank card EVER, just my first in at least 8 years.

Congrats on the new car.  There is definately something to be said about good credit and the ease of approval.   Your average age of accounts has taken some hard hits recently.   Personally, I don't care for store cards without a major (V/M) logo on them, athough, your shopping habits could benefit for their rewards.   I would take the hit of a more major card, preferabbly Visa/Mastercard over the Discover at this time.   Your utilization and basic information may be good for the Citi double cashback rewards although, they are tight with the credit line.   Synchrony/Walmart's Mastercard is pretty generous on the line of credit with quick increases in the first 90 days.  While higher interest, one who pays in full monthly wouldn't mind this.   You can use the pre-qualification on their websites to check what your odds are before the actual application.  I'd limit it to one approval for the next year.