Question

AlohaSt8

709 -> 850. How?
Hi,
I'm a 19 year old full-time student.
I am trying to build myself a nice score for when I graduate to purchase a car and/or a house.
I have 1 Credit Card (secured) for ~$500 so I don't get out of hand.

What steps can I take to increase my score? Try to keep my card active so they acknowledge my utilization.

Things to note:
Live at home
Little to no income
No bills under my name

Most Helpful Response

850 is unattainable. anything above 760 is considered excellent and you'll get the best rates. 

one thing that does help is if you have a family member who will add you onto one of their cards as an authorized user. make sure its been open for at least a couple of years and the balance is very low. 

You need more credit.  If you can, join a local credit union that offers a "Credit Builder Loan".  This is a small loan (500-1000) for a 12 month period.  When you get the loan, they don't actually give you any money, but open an interest bearing account in your name (that you cannot access) for the loan amount.  They divide your monthly payments into equal amounts every month (usually pretty small amount) and when you pay it off at the end of 12 months, they give you the loan amount plus any interest you've accrued.  Another way is to become an authorized user on someone else's credit card, family or friends.  They add your name to their card (you don't need the card or even the card number so that way they don't worry about you running up a bill).  The account will magically appear on your credit, along with the credit history, so the older the account, the better.  Keep up the good work, 709 isn't bad at all for 19!  And don't kill yourself trying to get 850 - once you get around 770 you don't get any better interest or deals than you would if you were at 850.