Question

tannerkilgore

707 credit score yet denied for EVERYTHING.
Im somewhat a beginner and have a "thin file" but nothing bad or negative in my report. I dont want a First Premier Bank card with a 300 limit. Anyone know of something for me?

Most Helpful Response

Hi, I was in your same situation about two years ago when i just turned 18. I was able to get my first credit card through Capital One with only a $500 limit, but this was right before the economy was officially declared as going down hill. So in these days it's going to be extremely difficult to get a card right when you jump into the game of Credit. I'm with you in avoiding getting a low credit limit and not having to pay a big fee to start up, so stay away from the secured cards if you can. I now have 4 credit cards about to turn 20, I'd recommend applying for a student card if you are enrolled in a college. Low APR's, although not a huge credit limit it should be more then $300 though and will certainly help you start building credit. I have the Citi Forward© Student Credit Card, and its awesome! Your APR can be reduced over time by just being responsible and staying within your limit and making payments on time. No annual fee, and you can earn ThankYou points that can be spent on just about anything! My credit limit was $1000, which is understandable since I did have a "thin file" as well. So don't get discouraged if it's not above that. If you are a student then you should take a look through the Student cards on CreditKarma and see what works best for you. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

TAT

If you are denied credit you have a right to get a free copy of the credit report used to make that decision. You should not have to pay to see it!

tannerkilgore

Thank you for your reply. I applied for the forward card but was denied. Citi said it was due to a balance on trans union. I paid the $25 to see what they were talking about and nothing was there. I cant seem to get credit from anyone even with 707 and above 30k a year. I would love to stay away from secured but I dont know of another route.

I forgot to add, try looking at capitalone's credit card, they have credit cards specifically for people with a limited history, and offer credit limits around 500$. They have a pretty low APR (I think mine is 17%) and there annual fees aren't bad either (mine were 39.99). The best thing to do when building credit is get a credit card, and buy something VERY small each month with it (like a pack of gum, or a bottle of water) and then pay it off instantly, you don't have to use MUCH credit, to build credit.

tannerkilgore

Thanks for the response. Since I posted this, ive been able to get:

Cap1 secured (400)

HSBC BestBuy Mastercard (100)

and Bank of America BankAmericard (1000)

Scores have moved to 723 and I was thinking of swapping the Cap1 secured with another limited credit category card (Was consedering either the mtv or cash back). I would like no AF and APR doesnt matter to me since I always pif. Hopefully in 6 months to a year I can qualify for a Zync from Amex.

How old are you? If your young and don't have a lot of credit go to a credit union, they will be able to approve you for a low limit card. If it's not because of your age you have a bad credit to debt ratio or you have applied to much recently.

tannerkilgore

I believe its the fact of a "thin file" Ive had a co signed card since I was 15 (18 now) the card had a limit of 5000 and was always paid in full.

Have you thought about just opening up a few store credit cards? I financed a washer and dryer, and a sofa set, and it helped me a lot! If your really young (like me) it not only helps build credit, but if your going to college or just moved into a new apt then it's a good way to get things you want without spending ALLLL of that money up front.