Question

fernapa

6yo judgement: should I pay it?
I have a 6yo judgement in my account but have no idea what it is from since the collection agency is the one listed and not the original creditor. Not sure if I want to call the collection company to find out (not sure it would restart the clock). Also, if I decide to pay it (since it is 6yo), do I pay the court or the CA? Or should I worry about a collection that is 3yo and I can probably pay to delete?

Advise please!

Most Helpful Response

You may want to wait.

On the 6 yr old account, You may want to just wait it out on that one. Since you aren't sure  who the original lender is it may be worth your time to try a "Validation Letter"  Google it for a template. This is mailed to the Credit bureau. 

Yes, it will restart the "collection clock" if you contact them directly and you don't want to open that can of worms.  Contacting them now, especially if your not in a position to pay them off would do more harm than good. After the Validation, If you decide to try and do a pay to delete, you would pay the collection agency. the original lender got a judgement, most likely in small claims, then sold it.  Thus the collection agency is reporting it and they would collect it.

On the account that is 3 years old, Try a Validation letter first, when you get the results then decide how you want to approach that one.

jwsister

Contacting them to get information DOES NOT restart the SOL.  Making any payment could,  Since you don't know where this came from or if it is even yours (since errors do occur on credit reports) getting this information is just finding out, nokt paying or promising to kpay.

fernapa

Enter Your Replying could pay them if it would help my credit score but not if it would damage me on the long hall by restarting the clock. SOL in NJ is 20years for judgements. Also, is that possible to get a pay to delete on a judgement? And how would I go about offering a lower amount to settle for pay to delete? Should I call and work a number, wait for that to be received in written and then pay or work all by Mail? My only concern is getting my scores higher. 

Negotiations best if written

Do all negotiations for a settlemtn via 'snail mail' and keep copies of all correspondence so there is concrete proof of what was said from both sides.  I don't know for sure if you can get a 'pay for delete' arrangement but it never hurts to try.  A judgement is renedered after a court suit is filed due to non-payment by the debtor.  Since you have no idea where it came from, it is a 'default' judgement rendered in the case of a debtor who did not appear in court.  This actually makes the account suspect because, by the simple transposing of a number, the debt could be posted to the wrong person's credit report.  That is why it is good to find out for sure if it is your debt or not and it doesn't hurt to find out. If this account is just showing up here, go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  One of them should have the information about this judgement on it.  

fernapa

The only info it has is the collection agency name but not who they represented.

fernapa

And how about sending by fax?