Question

SoManyQuestions

680 score but short credit history
Hello All,

I got a credit card 2 months ago to build my credit up. I have a 680 but only 2 mos in history.
Also, I have a derogatory remark for $97 medical bill on a credit report.

I'd like to get a small amount of financing for a used car, $10,000 - $15,000.

Should I wait a few months before I start applying for financing? I don't want to start contacting companies if I don't have a shot and my score takes a hit from the inquiries.

Thanks in advance.

Most Helpful Response

Longer history would help, but there is no magic number of months to give you.  At this point, you need years of history.  If you have a really good friend or relative that had good credit,  you could ask them to add your name to a credit card of theirs as an "authorized user".  You don't need a copy of the credit card or number, so if they are worried, tell them you wouldn't be able to charge anything on it.  However, if they do this, then the account will show up on your credit report with the same number of months/years history as the original card holder.  That is the quickest way to fatten a thin file.  To learn more about building credit, visit www.credit.about.com.  Best of luck!