Question

JDad1616

537/541 - Best way to get to 700+???
Ok, shamefully my current TU/EQ scores are 537 and 541...

6 years ago I purchased a house by myself and got in a little over my head which brought me to up about $12k in credit card debt.

I'm currently in the process of selling my house and plan on buying a home within the next year. So here I am asking what is the best and most aggressive course of action to raise my credit scores as much as possible?

Here is my current situation:
$300k mortgage which will be paid off within the next month upon closing
$12k in credit card debt
$4k student Lon
$0 car loan

My credit cards are the problem. Some are delinquent and some have been sold off to collection agencies. With just receiving my tax return I do have almost the $12k to completely pay off all the cards, but ofcourse I'd like to save some money if possible.
Should I pay in full or settle?
How can I get collections deleted from my report?
I don't mind hiring a company to do this if it will be worth it, any advice on doing so?

I'm (obviously) not very good at this and would REALLY like to change that, so any insight provided is much appreciated. Any further info needed I can easily provide.

Any settle for less than total will record as a writeoff for the company and stay on your record for 7 years.

I would pay in full if you have any hope of getting a mortgage in the next year as you allready have many negatives and any more will prolong the time before you can get a house. You would also want to keep any open that you can and not close any that are not allready.

I would take a lot of time and read and avoid paying MORE money for someone to tell you what to do to fix your credit. you might in a year be at the lower end of acceptable for a mortgage if you get everything straighten out now and stay on the straight and narrow for the next year.