Question

e2xwk7s

30 Days to Dispute Collection; if paid will it not be reported?
I just received a collection letter for a medical bill that occurred 2 years ago. It took the medical office over 18 months to even send me out a bill for it and I was very confused and should have taken action right away but unfortunately I did not. They just sent it over to collections and sent me a letter stating I have 30 days to dispute the debt. I called them up to ask them, if I validated this amount was correct of what I owed and paid it in full immediately than would they agree to not post it to my credit report since I don’t see it listed. The gentlemen told me that if I paid it in the 30 days from the dispute letter than they don’t have the right to report it since it was paid already; which he stated was in according to the law. I asked for a letter to confirm that if I paid in full within the 30 days that it would not be reported, but the gentlemen told me he didn’t have a letter like that to send out to me. Can someone confirm for me if it is true, if I pay for the amount in full before the 30 days allotted to dispute it than will it not get reported or is the gentlemen just telling me that to get me to pay? I don’t know where to look to confirm if it is true.

If it were me, I would take his word for it and pay it immediately. It is always better to have things in writing, but a verbal agreement may be able to hold up in court if they do not stick to their word about not reporting. If you pay and they don't report it, great!! If they end up reporting it after you pay it, then call a consumer lawyer and sue them for violating the agreement.