Question

Danial0321

3 debt collectors.
I have already paid $600 to one debt collector, on a 1200 loan. Now I have three other debt collectors saying that I owe them that money. Not the one I've been paying. So I shut down the payments and called them and told them what was going on and they pretty much told me that wasn't their problem . Now I have them in those other three collectors threatening to show up at my apartment and at my work. And unless I cooperate then there will be trouble

Are these collection accounts on your credit reports or not? If they all are and it is for the same debt, you want to dispute those accounts with the credit bureaus. If the collection company that you have been paying is the actual owner of the account I would get it paid off if you are already half way there. If you are being threatened by debt collectors in the way that you have said, they are violating the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) so I advise that you contact an FDCPA law firm and speak to them about this. Most will not charge you any out of pocket expense. I recommend the law firm of Kimmel & Silverman if they practice in your state. Also note: it truly is not your current debt collector's problem if other debt collectors are harrassing you, they cannot control what other companies do.