Question

andrewdownphx

$2400 from 5 accounts in collections,starting to pay now, best advice on what to do to remove them?
I am working on repairing my credit, and don't really know where to start. Two months ago when I started, I had a 515 and got a secured card. I now have a 547, but my goal is to be 700+ as soon as possible. I have about 5 accounts that are negative for a total of $2400, which I can pay off in about 6 months- the problem is, I don't where to start, or which bills to pay first if I am trying to raise the score quickly, and to also have the marks removed after paid. Any advice?

Most Helpful Response

When I decided to pay off all of my outstanding debt and become debt freet, I set a monthly budget to pay towards the outstanding debts and I used Dave Ramsey's Baby Step 2 system. You can Google Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 and find out more information.

Basically you list the debts in order from smallest to largest and attack the smallest one first. Once the smallest one is gone, you attack the next smallest debt. You continue this monthly until all of the debts are gone. Doing this worked great for me and the debts were gone faster than I ever could have imagined.

andrewdownphx

I like that, now what about after they are tackled? Are creditors willing to remove them from my credit report? there are 3 medical bills, a cell phone bill, and a credit card.

StreamDweeler

Some companies and collection agencies are willing to remove the item from your report once it is paid in full. Not all will but it does not hurt to ask. If they agree to do that, make sure you get it in writing so you have proof incase they do not remove the item. Then you will have documentation to provide the credit bureau to have the item deleted if needed.

Also, you may want to negotiate a lower than owed balance payoff on the debt. They may, or may not, not be willing to do this but again, it never hurts to ask if they will take less. And again, make sure you get everything in writing.