21 year old college student that needs credit HELP !!!
I am a college student and i wanted to build my credit. I have one secured card from capital one. I put a deposit of $200 back in January when i applied, recently as of 6/16, they raised my credit limit to $500. My credit score right now is 605. I have about 16 inquiries on my report ( i applied to for diff cards when i was 19 not knowing anything about credit). My question is, if i were to open 2 more secure cards of $300, will my score go up? I also applied for a Macy's card last week, but i havent heard anything back.

I received something in the mail from Discover about a student college card they are offering. If i were to apply for that, will my score go down since i have applied for a Macy's card within the last week? What does your score have to be to be approved for a discover card?

Most Helpful Response

I had a Capital One Secured card for 3 years, paid in full every month, and it did a great job of establishing my credit worthiness. Unfortunately it takes patience. But now I am getting approved for unsecured cards with rewards. I started off first with a Wells Fargo Student Card. Many banks have student cards that offer rewards and are easier to get than standard cards, because the average student is new to credit. Capital One has one called the Journey Card. Bank of America also has student cards, but I think you need a higher score for that than the others. Judging from your score, however, you should bump it up some more before applying for these - and opening another secured card or an unsecured retail store card would be good ways to accomplish this. Yes, there will be one or more hard inquiries but the damage from that is quickly overcome with the positive benefits of having a second account in good standing. Utilization is also important, and if you have a higher total credit allotment you are likely to have a lower utilization rate (which is what you want for higher credit scores.) I recommend expanding your credit history with one or two more accounts. If you keep them in good standing it should make a big difference in your credit scores in several months (at which time you can start looking at the unsecured student reward cards!)