Question

Trying2BeDebtFree

2 maxed out credit cards, wanting to pay off with taxes, need advice.
Hello! I have two maxed out credit cards. I'll give the nitty gritty because I need real advice- one is 8,500 and one is 6,000. With my tax return I want to start paying them off.
However, with my return I can only afford to fully pay off the 8,500 one and then pay about 1,000 on the other. This of course leaves 5,000 on the other one. Is it wise to fully pay off one and the 1,000 to the other. Or should I pay so there is 30% roughly left on each cards balance? I don't know what to do or what is best. I believe either way it will be about the same but what looks better on my credit and does the best for my score? Or should I just be concerned with paying one completely off? I don't know what to do! Please help me!

It will probably improve your score more to pay off both cards below 50% of their limits.  But some people feel a lot more accomplished by actually paying off a card.  If the interest rates are about the same, you can do either.  If you are trying to improve your score quicker, pay down half of both. 

Reply to 2 previous posters-

I guess in all actuality I am more concerned with having enough money left over every month to survive than I am my credit score (so we can stop scraping by), considering we aren't planning on needing our credit for anything in the near future. We aren't buying a house, we already have a vehicle, and we don't plan to make any big purchases that will need financing. 

Ideally I would like to pay them both off with taxes, but I am only getting so much back so I can't afford to pay them both off I just didn't know what to do. 

I think I will feel more accomplished to completely pay off the 8,500 one since it is the largest with the largest payment montly. But I didnt know if I should get them both as close to 30% as possible. 

if I am aiming to just have more money every month, and not anything with my credit score, what do you reccomend?