Question

huskermania101

2 Hard Inquiries from 1 Auto Loan ... how? And what to do now?
I just looked at a detailed credit report (since creditkarma doesn't show who/where the hard hits come from) and noticed that I have two (2) hard hits from one (1) auto loan. The hits are from the same day, 1 from the dealership, and 1 from the eventual lender. My understanding was that while I shopped around for an auto loan (also had a pre-approval from another credit union) it eventually all gets bundled into 1 hit. Can I get one of these duplicates removed? I would surely ask the dealership since I don't have the loan through them...

Thanks for any and all help!

Most Helpful Response

It doesn't necessarily get bundled into 1 on the actual report, but when scores and risk calculations are made, they can recognize them as auto-related hits and bundle them behind the scenes.

I have had upwards of 6 INQs from a single car-buying experience.  No big deal, it has never been an issue moving forward.  INQs can significantly hurt your score (and only your score) for around 6 months, less so for the next 6 months, at the 12 month mark most lenders care quite a bit less and don't always include them in their risk calculations, and at 24 months they will fall off.

Unless one of those hits is fraudulent, there isn't much you can do and I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Focus more on establishing a history of credit length, responsible on-time payments, and a diverse portfolio of managed credit.