Question

VEL72876

2 Different Collections from Same Agency
I have two medical bills in collections-- one from 2013 and one from 2014. The one from 2013 is considerably higher and I was planning on letting that collection run its 7 year course. However, I was just going to pay off the 2014 bill. They're for two separate medical visits, but have both been collected by the same agency.

If I try to pay the smaller collection, will the larger collection's statute start over for another 7 years? Or is there a way I can pay one and not the other. I just really want to clear up this one collection but not at the risk of having to start the time all over on the larger one.

Thanks in advance!

The time cannot be restarted on the other bill at least legally, but they may try to since they hold both the accounts, just keep all information relating to these accounts to provide as your defense should a problem like this arise. Be extremely careful on how you handle this. You may have issues getting a "pay for delete agreement" on the one account, they will probably say that you have to pay both accounts to have them deleted, they will have leverage since they hold two accounts. All you can do is try to get a "pay for delete" on the smaller account, if they would accept, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that on your payment it is specified that the money is to only go to the one account (the smaller one that you are paying off). I would also write on the check or money order something like: "by cashing, xx company agrees account is paid in full and will be removed from credit reports".