Question

SamGavinSun

1yr1m credit history for chase sapphire? TU 741 equifax 737 fico 732
21 year old college student. First one in family in the US. Credit scores in the title. All income (funds available to me) combined including fellowship and transfers from parents and work salary at 82K a year. Trying my very best to build a credit history here.

Recently the sapphire reserve is the big deal-- but I'm thinking about the preferred since everyone is going for the reserve. Also heard a rumor(verify for me plz) that if you apply two chase cards at the same day chase would only do one hard pull.... I'm thinking about starting my financial needs with Chase, so I'm planning on applying for both the freedom and sapphire at the same time.

Credit Cards:
Discover it: 2500. 1y1m
Citi Thank you preferred: 1700. 1yr
Pay to zero each month. Below 5 percent credit utilization consistently.

Should I give it a shot? All advice appreciated! Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

Decent chance

Really the only thing working against you is your AAoA.  It seems like 2 years is the magic number in a lot of cases.  You most likely will get approved instantly for the Freedom, but you may have an issue with the Saphire.  The Saphire is a Visa Signature only, so unless you're approved for that higher-tier threshold, there isn't even the option to approve you for a lower-tier Visa in the Saphire.  With the Freedom, you can be approved for either the Signature or the lower-tier level Platinum.  Maybe a safer way of finding out would be to apply over the phone or in a branch?

SamGavinSun

Sounds like a great idea to apply by phone! I would really like this card :) Thanks a lot! Quick follow up question: does getting referred by someone who's already their user helps?

SamGavinSun

I just applied for the card via phone and got the dreadful 'needs further review'.... I guess two years is the magical number... I wonder what to do now...

It Can't Hurt

I hear ya about wanting the Sapphire, it's a great card and a great sign-up bonus.  As far as being referred by an existing Chase customer, I haven't personally seen any examples where that was taken into consideration in general, but when applying over the phone with a credit analyst it may very well work in your favor.  From the company's perspective, talking with you directly on the phone or in person is less risky for them vs. blindly receiving an online application.  Any time you can take the approval process out of the computer's hands and into a human's hands is typically beneficial to the applicant (assuming they have a strong credit profile, like you).

SamGavinSun

Thank you so much for your help! I'm trying my very best to build my credit history so it pay off one day when I need it. Even if I do get the new card/s I will still will be very careful with their use. But thanks a lot about these advises. I really appreciate those. :) have a wonderful day!

SamGavinSun

I just applied for the card via phone and got the dreadful 'needs further review'.... I guess two years is the magical number... I wonder what to do now... I might call back in to check with them?

Going forward, for any credit card you want, check the issuer's pre-approval website first. If you have one then there is a better chance of getting approved.

Specifically to Chase:

Freedom - good chance of getting

Sapphire cards: Chase likes to "match" the other lines you have so if you don't meet their minimum matches then approval chances diminish.

CSP - Visa Signature - minimum $5k

CSR - Visa Infinite - minimum $10k

It would also help if you had an existing banking relationship. 

As other have said as well, an AAoA of 2+ years also helps.

As well as a pre-approval as I mentioned above.