Question

Posted in Auto Insurance

chrispy4

1st time auto insurance buyer
I am interested in purchasing a brand new chevy l=malibu valued at around 21,000. How much should I expect to pay for auto insurance monthly under full coverage? I don't want to get bamboozled.

Most Helpful Response

Depends on where you live, how old you are, your marital status, the vehicle (not its price, but type, age, etc) and your traffic record. If you're a 19-year-old single guy in New York City who had an accident and three tickets in the past two years and want to insure a shiny new Mercedes Benz, you will pay through the nose. If you're a 50-year-old empty-nester in BFE Wyoming with a perfect record and driving a beat-up old 2002 minivan, you'll pay next to nothing. When I was a punk kid in uniform stationed in Las Vegas, single, and driving a brand-new Jeep Wrangler fresh off the lot? My insurance payment was practically as big as the loan payment. Now I live in rural Oregon and drive one of two used vehicles that my wife and I own free and clear... and I pay more for cigarettes each month than I do for full-coverage insurance on both vehicles (that is, practically nothing). Long story short, you're probably going to have to ask an insurance agent (or two, preferably 3-4 different ones so that you can get some quotes and find the best price/coverage/etc.)