Question

kimofry122

18 years old, need to build credit. What card should I apply for?
I am 18y and 18 days old to date, and I am trying to build my credit. Both of my parents have scores in the 400s and are unable to help me as far as getting loans for school. They are getting their wages garnished due to bills they owe which is making it harder for them to pay for school for me so I definitely need a student loan. I have one loan for 17,000 that my Godmother cosigned on, but i cannot ask her to do that again. So I need to build my score to get one of my own. I was hoping that I could start fresh on my credit score, however I am starting with a score of 632 due to a $12 dollar medical bill being in collections on my account for two years. I am in the process of getting that disputed and taken off my reports. I need to know what card I can get or what else I can do to start building my credit.

The best way to build (or rebuild) credit is to get a secured credit card.  You have to deposit a few hundred dollars with the issuer and that will be your credit limit.  The interest rate on these cards is usually rather high because you have not yet proven your reliability in repayments, so it would be best to only use it for small purchases that you can pay in full when the bill comes in.

As for school, I have a degree and had the student loan debt.  And getting a job wasn't easy.  I suggest looking into community college or training schools where you can learn excellent trades that pay well and avoid the horrid student loan debt mess.