Question

lance317

161 TU point drop with no explanation
I have had a 160+ point drop in the last 2 days with no explanation whatsoever.
Went over my current credit report from Trans Union yesterday, and there are no new or otherwise negative items on my current report.

the only change I have had to my credit picture, is that I have 2 credit cards - 1 has a limit of $500, and the other has $1000 limit. I have never had lates on these cards, and last month I had a balance of $841 on 1 card, and I paid it off in full 2 days before the bill was due - which is 5 days before they report to credit bureaus....Is it possible that paying off the credit card in full caused a 160 point drop? My other card has a balance of about $50 right now.

Totally stumped, as my Fico score for Trans Union went up 22 points yesterday!

Vagary of the system

given the way you described the situation, the only answer I can think of is the $841 balance was reported by the credit card company prior to your paying it off and it created a temporary credit utilization in excess of 50% and the score was lowered because of it.  If that's true then it should right itself when the zero balance is reported in the next week or two.   It seems like some credit card companies have a hair trigger when it comes to reporting increases in card balances but are slow on the draw when it comes to reporting those balances being paid.

lance317

thanks for responding OldFrog75....it's been over a week, and no change to the Vantage 160 point drop.

The thing of it is, I paid off the $841 balance a full 3 days before the bill was due, and 6 days before my CC company (Capitol One) reports new activity to the bureaus....

I've had over 50% utilization on my other credit card in the past, and it didn't result in a 160 point drop, rather I lost about 5 to 6 points when that happened earlier in the year.

This whole scnario makes little sense, as Imy true FICO Trans Union actually went UP by 22 points - the same day my scores here at Karma and also Sesame went down.

I have been aggressively trying to up my scores for housing purposes, so to get a 160 point drop for no apparent reason is devastating.