Question

whatsnext16

10 month credit history, 1 card (715) - next step?
Hello,
I am trying to build credit history and get a decent credit limit so I can use my card for travel.
Background: I'm British and moved to the US last year. I applied for a Capital One card and got a $300 limit this was increased to $500 in December. I've made all payments on time and have a score of 680-715 depending on the report.

I'm trying to keep building my credit but I would love to get a card that has enough credit that I could use it for booking plane tickets and hotel rooms. With only $500 I can only use it for some groceries to keep utilisation low. I've been home to London twice and stayed in over a dozen hotels that I had to put on my debit card, making it less safe and of course missing out on cash back or travel points.

I contacted CapitalOne for an increase but they say I don't qualify because I got an increase so recently. The 0% period has also expired and my rate is now 22.6%. I don't carry a balance right now.

What should my next step be. Should I apply for another card, wait it out and try to get an increase from CapitalOne at a later date?

I have no other loans/mortgages/debt. Just 1 checking account and 1 credit card.

Thanks.

You have a few options here.... I would start with capital one on there prequal site and see if they have a different card for you.  If they do you could just apply for a new card with them.  Also you can do the same with Chase, Amex and Barclaycard.  Maybe check chase first.  With them you cant have more then 5 cards in a two year period so they would always be first.