Question

Rdiaz30200

1 collection agency for the same debt, reporting 2 separate accounts.
I have this same issue. 1 collection agency for the same debt reporting 2 separate accounts. The 1st account is reporting the original balance due, the 2nd account is showing the original balance with additional fees. I have since reached out to collection angecy to verify the actual true balance so I can make the necessary arrangements to pay this off finally. I am not disputing the fact that I owe this debt but the correct one and if it is the one with the additional balances then shouldn't they correctly report that ONE account. So then I can make proper arrangements and agreements for that ONE accounts balance? Please advise.

Most Helpful Response

If the collection company is reporting twice on your report for the same debt then you should dispute it to have one of them removed. Dispute it with the credit bureaus. Now, if the original creditor is reporting the debt and the collection company is as well (this would be 2 separate reportings for the same debt) that is allowed, but I don't think you are saying this is what's happening.

What kind of "arrangements and agreements" are you planning on making with them? If you are going to attempt to make a settlement agreement or a "pay for delete agreement" that's one thing, but I would strongly suggest against making any types of payment plans with them as if you happen to miss a payment it can restart the clock on the statute of limitations or credit reporting period. I advise you do some serious reading on dealing with debt collectors, as trying to do the right thing can sometimes leave the consumer in a worse place than where they started.

Rdiaz30200

Thank you so much for replying. I wanted to make sure first that the way the 2 accounts for same debt being reporting was something I could dispute. I assumed so much, but wanted to make sure first. I plan on just paying the entire amount off and be done with it.  I find tons of sample letters that are for vaildating debts but I am looking for a sample letter or wording that will aid me in disputing the inaccuracy and misleading of the 2 debts being reported and maybe a letter that I can send afterwards to collection agency that will help me with the best outcome or status reporting after payment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.