We think it's important for you to understand how we make money. It's pretty simple, actually. The offers for financial products you see on our platform come from companies who pay us. The money we make helps us give you access to free credit scores and reports and helps us create our other great tools and educational materials.
Compensation may factor into how and where products appear on our platform (and in what order). But since we generally make money when you find an offer you like and get, we try to show you offers we think are a good match for you. That's why we provide features like your Approval Odds and savings estimates.
Of course, the offers on our platform don't represent all financial products out there, but our goal is to show you as many great options as we can.
|Low APR for a credit-builder loan||Monthly membership fee|
|Reports to three major consumer credit bureaus||Only low loan amounts offered|
|No hard credit inquiry required||Loan funds may go to a reserve account until you pay back the loan|
What you need to know about a MoneyLion credit-builder loan
Founded in 2013, MoneyLion is a financial services company that offers a membership program that includes online banking services, cash back rewards, credit-builder loans and more. The free MoneyLion core membership includes a zero-fee checking account and an investment account. And with the membership, you may be eligible for 0% APR for cash advances of up to $250. The upgraded MoneyLion Plus membership costs $19.99 per month and offers all of the above — plus access to the credit-builder loan.
Credit-builder loans could help you build credit if you’re having a difficult time qualifying for credit cards or other borrowing options. If you’re approved for a MoneyLion Plus membership, you can request a credit-builder loan. Depending on MoneyLion’s review of your finances and linked checking account, a portion of the money may be placed in a reserve account that you can’t touch until you pay off the loan. Payments are reported to the three major consumer credit bureaus. After paying off the loan, you get the rest of the cash in a lump sum.
MoneyLion is unique because you might get access to all or part of the $500 credit-builder loan if you’re approved. The money that doesn’t get deposited into your checking account goes into an interest-bearing credit reserve account until your loan is paid in full. Signing up for a MoneyLion checking account is required to borrow money.
MoneyLion offers a credit-builder loan up to $500 at an interest rate of 5.99% APR. This rate is low compared with rates on credit-builder loans offered by some other lenders. But remember, there’s a catch — the $19.99 monthly membership fee.
Paid membership required
To apply for a credit-builder loan, you must become a MoneyLion Plus member and pay $19.99 per month. But you might be able to get part or all of your monthly membership fee offset by payouts from the Lion’s Share Loyalty Program.
In this program, MoneyLion members get rewarded for meeting certain requirements, such as logging into the app and making a certain number of purchases. Platinum is the highest Lion’s Share Loyalty Program tier. Members in the platinum tier could receive a $19.99 payout to your MoneyLion investment account — if they can meet the requirements: using the MoneyLion Visa® Debit Card to make at least 20 purchases (of $10 or more) each calendar month and logging in to the app every day of the month.
No credit check
You don’t need stellar credit scores to apply for a MoneyLion Plus membership to get access to the credit-builder loan. In fact, MoneyLion doesn’t pull your credit at all. Instead, MoneyLion reviews your primary checking account — which must meet certain criteria to qualify — to determine if you’re eligible for the loan. If you’re approved, MoneyLion will report your payments to the three major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
After reviewing your finances, MoneyLion will deposit $75 to $500 of the loan into a bank account of your choosing. The money you don’t receive upfront is put into a reserve account until the loan is paid off.
If you’re approved for the Plus membership, you could get access to the upfront funds right away — based on your qualifications — if you choose to get money sent to your MoneyLion debit card or MoneyLion checking account. But it can take up to three business days to get funds deposited into a third-party checking account via ACH.
A closer look at a MoneyLion credit-builder loan
MoneyLion has a mobile app you can use to apply for its Core and Plus memberships. Here are a few details you need to know about the credit-builder loan before applying for Plus membership.
- Payments due on payday: You tell MoneyLion what your paycheck schedule is when you enroll in MoneyLion’s Plus membership. Afterward, your membership and loan payments are set up according to that schedule. If you get paid biweekly, for example, your loan and membership payments will be due biweekly.
- No prepayment penalty: You can pay off your MoneyLion credit builder loan early, and there will be no early payoff penalty fee.
- Deferment support available: If you need to postpone a payment for some reason, MoneyLion might allow you to defer a payment if you submit an application for deferment. But it’s important to note that you must submit the form at least two business days before your payment due date.
- Free credit monitoring: MoneyLion offers free credit monitoring powered by TransUnion. You’ll get a full credit report so you can review it for any potential errors or fraudulent activity.
- Extra membership perks: The no-fee MoneyLion bank account that’s available with your membership lets you earn cash back when you make purchases from participating brands.
Who a MoneyLion loan is good for
MoneyLion doesn’t perform a hard credit inquiry when you apply for its Plus membership, so it could be an option for you if you’re working on your credit or having trouble getting approved for a loan. But you shouldn’t necessarily count on this credit-builder loan to cover an emergency. It’s a relatively small sum, and some of the money may be placed in a reserve account until you pay off the loan.
On-time payments made toward the MoneyLion credit-builder loan could help you build a record of positive payment history. To cut down on your costs, consider paying off the loan early to minimize interest charges.
How to apply with MoneyLion
The MoneyLion credit-builder loan application process can be done on a desktop or through the mobile app. The first step is creating a MoneyLion account. To enroll in a MoneyLion account, you must sign up with your full name and address.
After completing this step, you can apply for MoneyLion Plus to request a credit-builder loan. The process includes setting up a MoneyLion checking account if you haven’t done so already. Here’s what you’ll need to complete the entire process.
- Full name
- Full email address
- Social Security number
- Home address
- Verifiable phone number
- Verifiable bank account that’s in good standing (at least 60 days old and has deposits that show steady income)
- Paycheck schedule
Not sure if MoneyLion is right for you? Consider these alternatives.
- Earnin: Earnin offers paycheck cash advances and may be a good alternative if getting access to cash is a higher priority right now than building credit.
- Lendup: If you need money to cover a car repair, medical bills or emergency, LendUp offers funding in as little as one business day if your loan application is approved — and good credit isn’t required.